About Me

My photo
Llanberis, North Wales, United Kingdom
Hi, I'm Dave Brown and I'm based in Snowdonia in North Wales. I am a Mountaineering and Kayaking Instructor and Sports Coach. I run personalised courses and sessions for folks looking to improve in their sport or activity. Additionally, I am also available as a Personal Fitness Trainer and Coach or Coaching Buddy. I spend most of my time climbing, mountaineering and paddling with clients and friends and then also training in my own time. In addition, i also conduct Consultancy work, Centre Inspections, Book and Equipment reviews and Technical Advice. I look forward to seeing on the hills, on the water and just generally out there.

Sunday 10 January 2010

The Cwm was calling!


I headed out with Ali today again and we were originally bound for the 
Snowdon area, however, the road on the pass had other ideas for Ali's van. 
Snow had been blown  onto the road from about the quartz stone corner 
and was succeeding in turning back folks. So with tails between our legs 
and now half an hour behind the crowds, we retreated and headed 
for Cwm Idwal. Sure enough, it was busy with plenty deep queues on 
most of the visible ice routes and a few others too. We opted for a little 
less climbed option, Sub Wall Route (IV) on Idwal Slabs. 
The first pitch was initially a bit of powder swimming, but soon got a 
little fruity. I took on the second pitch, which proved a bit sparse on gear 
and solid placements for crampon or axe. Lots of the snow consisted 
of sugary snow/ice loosely bonded to the slab, mostly with air! There is 
a nice little step and slab which maintains the interest of the leader. 
Ali stepped up for a more consolidated 3rd pitch and i took on the 
fourth. I am not sure it is a route i would rush out and repeat, but 
we did have it to ourselves on a very busy day. 

Maybe that is something to be said of the route we chose??!!  



This is Ali stepping out around the undercling at the beginning of the 3rd pitch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment