About Me

My photo
Llanberis, North Wales, United Kingdom
Hi, I'm Dave Brown and I'm based in Snowdonia in North Wales. I am a Mountaineering and Kayaking Instructor and Sports Coach. I run personalised courses and sessions for folks looking to improve in their sport or activity. Additionally, I am also available as a Personal Fitness Trainer and Coach or Coaching Buddy. I spend most of my time climbing, mountaineering and paddling with clients and friends and then also training in my own time. In addition, i also conduct Consultancy work, Centre Inspections, Book and Equipment reviews and Technical Advice. I look forward to seeing on the hills, on the water and just generally out there.

Monday 5 January 2009

Cwm Idwal Ice

The high pressure lingering over us on Saturday and bringing the return of the very cold snap after a slight warming thaw made the mind tick and after a phone call to Baggy, a plan was hatched. So sunday saw an early start and a quick hike into Cwm Idwal. The night had been cold and there was plenty of ice on the ground, giving good hints of what could be about.

We headed for Central Route as we had heard a few ascents had been made recently, even though it didn't look that fat on new year's day. We Soloed this followed by soloing the Ramp.


After descending back into the Cwm we went to the base of the Curtain and climbed this next, it was a lot more solid than it actually looked! Next followed an ascent of the Screen, a little damp, but well formed, with good bottom and top sections.


Lastly, we wandered over to the Devil's Cellar which gave us the best climbing of the day. Sporting two very good pitches and very good ice, it gave a fitting finale to a great day out.



There were apparently over a dozen teams on the Idwal Stream today and i've had reports of lots of action happening on the South Wales ice too, with folks on the Torpantau Falls and RAC Corner.

Conditions look like they are set to stay with us for the forthcoming week, so happy climbing. However, my tools are packed and i'm heading for Ouray on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment